It’s impossible to ignore the increasing cost of living as prices continue to rise on our daily essentials such as food and fuel. As more of us find ourselves worrying about money and debt and the impact on our mental health, it is important to know what support is coming.

So far, we’ve seen the Government introduce the £150 Council Tax rebate which if you pay by direct debit, should have reached your account by now. If you pay by a different method, the Council should have written to you advising you on how to claim it. If you have any issues or are yet to receive your payment, you can speak to the Council Tax team on 01376 557755.

In May, the Government announced a further set of measures to help support households with the rising Cost of Living:

  • Each household will receive a £400 payment, paid in instalments to energy suppliers starting in October.
  • If you receive Universal Credit, Job Seeker’s Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Income Support, Tax Credits or Pension Credits, you should receive an additional £650 across two lump-sum payments starting in July.
  • If you usually receive a Winter Fuel Payment with your State Pension, you’ll receive an additional £300 on top of this in November or December.
  • If you receive Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance you should also receive a payment of £150 in September.

Jon Baldwin, our Energy Advice and Engagement Specialist had this to say: ‘’Contrary to previous announcements, the good news is that none of these grants or payments need to be paid back. I’d encourage you to set the money aside to help with your energy costs over the next few months. Although household bills are rising, energy bills have seen the biggest increase so far and we’re likely to see a continuation of this trend in the coming months.’’

If you’re worried about paying your bills or unsure of what you’ll receive, CABHW may be able to help. Speak to us on 0808 278 7852 so we can help you find a way forward.